Thursday, June 15, 2006

Who's a pretty boy then?



It started off quite badly.

I decided to catch a taxi to the Parc de Bagatelle in the Bois de Boulogne, as public transport would have meant travelling 3 sides of a square and a taxi would cut across in no time.... For the first time in 2 years there was not a queue of taxis waiting at the road junction.
A queue (I use that word loosely, in the French sense) of customers formed and we waited. After 10 minutes a taxi pulled up and the first couple got in. We waited again, commenting on the strangeness of the situation. The lady after me in the queue then slid her foot into a patch of dog muck. She was not too pleased.
Another 10 mins and a taxi reluctantly pulled over and I got in. After a polite "Bonjour", I made a gentle comment on the lack of taxis about today and he went for me like a Rottweiler. "You go and tell that to the Town Hall! I've been stuck in a traffic jam for an hour and a half! You Parisians, you don't do anything about it! I've been up since half past 5!"
Arriving at the park in a state of dumb shock, I met up with the teacher and we discovered that the rose gardens, which we had come to paint, were cordoned off for this one day in the year for competition judging. Another student turned up and said she'd been propositioned twice on her walk to the park.

It was such a relief to sit down amongst the greenery and paint.

The peacocks were displaying and generally showing off - it was lovely.

No comments: