Monday, July 17, 2006

A bit of a faux pas ......


We stood in Reception and watched the owner stride purposefully towards us, wearing a baggy check shirt and baggy canvas trousers. I wasn't quite sure whether it was a man or a woman. Her hair was dyed blonde and pulled back in a curly ponytail and on closer inspection I could see that the eyebrows were plucked and her face was lightly made up although her jawline was pronounced and angular.

We all smiled, said hello but I didn't commit myself to a gender title. Her facial mannerisms were feminine and her voice was alto, so after a few moments I just had to commit myself to a "Merci, madame" for the sake of politeness. Phew! Right choice! She smiled shyly.

In the room, S and I talked about her appearance - the signals had been so confusing.

Later on, I went down to ask her if she would book us into a local restaurant. Again, on surer ground this time, I asked, "S'il vous plaƮt, madame..?" and again she smiled, and replied "That's twice you've called me madame and I'm a monsieur. What time shall I book the table for?"
The screaming in my head lasted for twenty minutes but I apparently said,"Oh, sorry. Half past seven, please."

No comments: